Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Disney's Latest Ticket Price Increase

Because the internet seems to be so worked up about the recent increase in ticket prices at Walt Disney World, I thought I would post my opinion on it here. 

A one day ticket to the Magic Kingdom is currently priced at $99 ($4 more than the other three Florida theme parks.) I agree that this is expensive, but I can't say this is not justified. I searched a couple of websites to see how other forms of entertainment would compare price-wise to spending one day in the Magic Kingdom and this is what I found:

Museum of Fine Arts (Boston): $25
Codzilla (40 minute ride): $29 
Canobie Lake Park General Admission: $36
Water Country General Admission: $38.99
Cinderella (Boston Ballet- rear seating): $39
Six Flags New England General Admission: $69.99
Dennis Parasail (Cape Code) 8-12 min. ride: $89
Universal 1 day ticket: $92
Rear Mezzanine ticket for Wicked on Broadway: $97.20
Magic Kingdom 1 day ticket: $99
One Direction Concert ticket: $117.90
Red Sox Ticket (field box): $140
Cinderella (Boston Ballet-front seating): $147
Front Mezzanine ticket for Wicked on Broadway: $184.95
Sky Dive New England (1 jump): $229

I don't think the ticket price for the Magic Kingdom is completely unreasonable; I think ticket prices in general are completely unreasonable. In comparison to other entertainment venues, the price of visiting the Magic Kingdom falls just about where I would expect it to be. The cheapest ticket to see Wicked on Broadway is only about $2 less than a 1 day Magic Kingdom ticket. Wicked is approximately 2.5 hours long, depending upon how late the Magic Kingdom is open, you could spend upwards of 12 hours there if you wanted to. I would also argue that the extra $20 you could spend choosing to go to the Magic Kingdom over Six Flags would be worth it. 

The other problem I see with the ticket price issue is that this $99 is for a 1 day ticket, and I would be willing to bet that the majority of the people complaining on the internet have never bought, and most likely never will buy a 1 day ticket. Disney's ticket prices decrease in their daily cost as the number of days purchased increases, so a 1 day 1 park ticket is the most expensive way to visit one of the theme parks. For the average Disney guest, I would assume that the tickets are purchased for more than just 1 single day, and this increase is much less of an issue. I'm sure there are some people who will randomly drive to the Magic Kingdom and want to purchase 1 day tickets, but I would still think that what you get out of paying that $99 makes it worth it, especially when compared to other entertainment options. (Though I would say that most of the tickets about, say from Six Flags on, are way too expensive. So the problem here isn't Disney's ticket prices, it's the prices charged for entertainment venues in general.)

DCP: I still haven't heard anything back from my phone interview, and Chaz is still in submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment