Friday, February 7, 2014

Disney College Program Applications & Web Based Interview - Fall 2014

Applications came out yesterday for the Disney College Program Fall/Fall Advantage 2014 season! Just in case you're not familiar with the application process for the DCP, here's a quick rundown: 

First you submit your application. The application itself is pretty basic-- it asks for what school you go to, your year in school, where you're from, your work experience, and you choices for roles during the program. (Roles = jobs in Disney speak.) In the application, you are asked to rank the roles offered in the program for high interest, moderate interest, low interest, or no interest. After you submit the application, you are either denied (NLIC, or No Longer In Consideration) or you are asked to move on to the Web Based Interview (WBI.) Keep in mind that you may not be denied or asked to move on to the WBI right away. Your application may be in the Submission stage, meaning that it simply hasn't been reviewed yet. 

The second step in the application process is the WBI. The WBI is a series of timed questions about your interests in the program, your personality, and your ability to provide top notch guest service. The WBI is divided into two sections. The first section is a series of multiple choice questions, which you have 50 seconds to answer. The second section contains a series of statements to which you answer Strongly Disagree/Disagree/Neutral/Agree/Strongly Agree, and you have 20 seconds for each of these questions. After completing the WBI, you are told immediately whether or not you passed. If you passed you will go on to the phone interview, if you do not pass you will be NLIC'ed. 

Upon successful completion of the WBI, you will be invited to schedule a phone interview. To do this, you simply log into your Disney Careers account and schedule a time that is convenient for you. There are usually 5 days to chose from within the next week or so, and the times range from early in the morning to pretty late at night. 

Obviously, the next step is to have the phone interview. (I will discuss the phone interview in more detail in a later post after I have taken mine.) After your phone interview, you will be notified of a decision within a couple of days to a couple of weeks.  


I submitted my application about 5 hours after they came out, and received the invitation to take the Web Based Interview about an hour after that. I didn't expect the process to go to quickly this time around, especially after reading all of the horror stories about how last semester's recruiting season went. Last semester was the first time that applicants could be denied without taking a WBI. The last time I applied in 2011, every applicant was given the opportunity to take the WBI, so the fact that I may be denied based upon my application was what has worried me more than anything. 

I did not think that the WBI was that bad. The first portion of it, asked questions about why you chose your college. This section was either different the last time I applied, or I just did not remember it because this whole portion of the interview was new to me. The questions asked about if you've lived in a residence hall, or if you chose your college to be close to your family and friends. This was the only part of the WBI that I found kind of confusing. I don't really know what Disney is looking for here. In one sense, I assume they wanted me to say that I chose a college close to my family, because obviously Disney values family, but at the same time, choosing a college far away shows that you have the ability to live independently and are okay with moving far away. I also found it strange that it asked about living in residence halls as part of the WBI. A lot of CP's (Disney College Program Interns) are commuters or attend community colleges, and community colleges usually do not have dorms. I don't know if this question actually factors into their decision making or not, but I thought this was something that was discussed in the Phone Interview rather than the WBI last time I applied. 

The second section I found to be much less confusing. This section was all of the statements to which you answer Strongly Disagree/Disagree/Neutral/Agree/Strongly Agree. This part of the WBI was exactly as I remembered it to be from last time. All of the statements were about your personality and guest service abilities, and I did not really find them to be particularly challenging. They also ask the same questions but word them differently, so you need to make sure that your answers remain consistent. You also want to make sure that you stick to the two extremes, Strongly Agree/Disagree rather than staying around Neutral. All in all, I did not find it to be painfully difficult, the worst part about this section is that you only have 20 seconds to answer each question. 

I scheduled my phone interview for Friday, February 14th at 7:45 PM. I could have scheduled it sooner, but I've been sick this week and I'd like to ideally be feeling better during my interview. I will also be at home for my interview rather than at school, like I was last time. I may take the interview in my car, just because I would appreciate the added privacy that way, as you can hear everything from every room in my house and I don't want that to freak me out. For the rest of this week, I'll be jotting down notes and preparing myself for the interview, though I'm not too nervous about it at the moment since I've done it before... or I still have a fever and am too delirious to be nervous, I guess that's an option too. 

Chaz applied for the DCP an hour or two after I did, but his application is still in submission. This means that he was not automatically NLIC'ed, but no one has reviewed his application yet, so hopefully recruiting starts to look at his sometime soon. 

That's it for now, I'm going to go back to sleep for a little bit since I am still not feeling too great.

Don't forget to find me on Facebook and Instagram! (:

Facebook.com/bdicologero
Instagram: @bdicologero

No comments:

Post a Comment