Saturday, August 22, 2015

- CP Q&A - Natalie: Front Desk/Hospitality at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa

This week's CP Q&A takes us to the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, where Natalie spent the Spring 2015 semester working in front desk/hospitality. Natalie is from Mansfield, Texas, and she attends Tarrant County College, where she is majoring in Marketing and Hospitality.

Q: Why did you want to do the Disney College Program?
A: I found out about the dcp the day applications came out for fall 2014 and right then I knew it was something I needed to do because Disney was always something I loved and obsessed over.




Q: What was your role and location? Was it your first choice? If not, what was?

A: I was front desk/hospitality and it was NOT my first choice. My first choice was photo pass, but I'm glad I got the role that I did as I learned a lot and met great people.
Q: What was training like for your role?
A: Training for my role was long. I started like everyone else at Disney University and stayed there for several days of destination cashier in which I became very overwhelmed and I was so sure I was going to hate my role. Then I went to my location (the Grand Floridian) and had a total of 5 more days of training for front desk cashier and 2 days for resort runner, which is another adventure in itself. Now on top of that training I also did 5 more days of training in May for Curbside at my resort as well. So over all I did have a lot of training, maybe around 17 or 18 days total. Luckily I had great trainers who helped me out, even if I was forced to do a check in my very first day on the desk, I think that truly helped me out more than I can explain. 

Q: What were the best things about your role?

A: There were a lot of great things about my role, but getting to really truly make magic everyday was amazing. I also loved talking to people about how and why I ended up at Disney, because 9 times out of 10, the guests loved to hear about the college program and its nice to know they care even a little. 




Q: The worst? A: The worst? Getting yelled at for sure, but I think that's in every role. It's something you have to get used to sadly. I think one of the hardest things is telling a guest something and they don't believe you and demand a manager, only to have them tell them the exact same thing. Most of the times the arguments were about king beds, which we have a very limited amount of at the resorts


Q: Would you recommend this role to a friend? A: I definitely would. It wasn't my first choice, but I'm glad it's what I was placed in. I learned so much about the resorts and working at the Grand Floridian was an amazing experience all in itself. Sure some days it was rough, but I wouldn't trade it for anything and I think so many people could enjoy it. 





Q: What advice would you give to new CPs in this role? A: Be prepared at first for a lot of training and for being overwhelmed, but then know that it will be an amazing experience and it's so worth it. It's not easy, but it can be a lot of fun. Just remember to have fun and remember all the magic you really can create for guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment