Monday, March 31, 2014

DCP: Driving vs. Flying to Florida

In the midst of how often current and future CPs discuss the car vs. bus situation, I thought I would make a post about driving vs. flying to Orlando. I will be flying, because taking a car does not seem like it would be worth the cost of taking a car, and to be honest, I'm pretty confident that I can fit everything I'll need in two suitcases and a carry on. 

In comparing costs, it makes more sense to me to use the bus system during the program. The buses are free, and gas in a touristy area is very expensive. And since the DCP does not exactly have the highest pay, I'm in no rush to spend my money on gas. I know a lot of people complain about the bus system, but these complaints seem like the same kinds of issues that arise from any kind of public transportation. Basically, I understand that it's crappy that the buses are late sometimes, and that some of the bus drivers apparently drive like maniacs, and that you have to leave for work two hours early, and... well, how is this any different from the MBTA? I don't think it is. If I can handle public transportation in Boston, I think I'll be able to handle it during the DCP. 

In light of this, I don't see why I would drive down. It doesn't make sense to bring a car to Florida, and pay insurance on it, if I'm hardly going to use it. The only real advantage I see to bringing a car is that I would be able to pack more. I'm not planning on over-packing, so I'm actually hopeful that this will keep me from bringing things I don't need. For right now, I am planning on bringing 1 large suitcase, 1 medium sized suitcase, a decent sized tote bag (for a carry on) and a purse. The one large suitcase will be for clothes, and the medium one will be for whatever clothes do not fit in the larger one, shoes, electronics, and whatever else I decide to bring that there is room for. Because I'll be flying, I'm not planning on going nuts with things like jewelry, and even shoes. (I'll also be working for most of the time that I'm there, so it doesn't make sense to go crazy bringing that stuff.) 

I'm planning on flying down to Florida the day before we check in, and staying with Holly (one of my roommates) near Disney property. Flying down the morning of doesn't seem like a good idea. In the chance that my flight is delayed or something, I don't want to have to check in late.



No comments:

Post a Comment