Monday, February 8, 2016

Casey's Corner Review

Casey's Corner has been a fan favorite since its opening on Main Street USA. The restaurant's theme invokes images of classic Americana, with baseball themed decor and menu items, and a prime location at the end of Main Street just before the hub and Cinderella Castle. The restaurant's name, is a reference to the poem titled, "Casey at the Bat: a Ballad of the Republic in the Year 1888" by Ernest Thayer. In the late 19th century, the poem could often be found in ads for baseball merchandise, and today it is still sometimes seen in children's books. 


Photo: Simon and Schuster

Since this review is based on our visits within the last two years, I won't be touching on the original interior decor of Casey's, however it is nice to look back on and I would suggest checking out this older review on the Disney Food Blog to check it out. 

I tend to visit Casey's Corner for what I call a late breakfast, or early lunch, aka I arrive at the park around 11 AM after having slept late, so I guess it's lunch, but to me it's breakfast. The same menu is served all day, so the time of day really doesn't matter, but for some reason I'm much more tolerant of the table-finding struggle when it's early. Speaking of which, finding a table at Casey's can be tough-- this can be annoying, but it does go to show that it is a popular place to grab a bite in the Magic Kingdom. While some people tend to block trash cans by eating on top of them, or find a spot on the ground to eat, I just bring my meal over to the Tomorrowland Terrace Restaurant when finding a table isn't possible. It's a short walk and much better than eating on top of a trash can.



Now for food-- I've tried everything on the menu except for the Polish Sausage, so maybe this review will be updated to include that someday. I usually go for the corn dog nuggets, which can easily be a snack if you eat them on their own, or a meal if you go for the fries and a drink with it. They're one of my favorite Disney foods, and they're the standard for what I tend to get at Casey's. For more of a meal, I'd suggest the chili cheese dog, though it should be noted that I have not tried the chili cheese dog since the plastic cheese has been removed. If you're wondering what I mean by "plastic cheese," and how that could possibly be appetizing, you can read more about it via the Disney Hipster Blog here. For whatever reason, I'm not usually a fan of chili cheese dogs, but I actually really love the one at Casey's. It doesn't fall apart or get soggy like others sometimes do, and there's enough chili to eat some leftover with a fork or put over your fries. I know they put shredded cheese on it now that the plastic cheese is no more, so this review will again be updated once I have it again next month with the new cheese. 

Aside from these menu items, I'd suggest the nachos or a plain hot dog. I've tried the barbecue slaw dog, but it really wasn't my thing, then again I'm also not a huge fan of pulled pork, so try it! You might still enjoy it. 



Casey's is one of my favorite quick service restaurants, and it is actually Chaz's favorite restaurant in general-- though he might be a little biased because he worked there during his college program. (He was custodial and he would often pick up the Casey's busser position). Even if you're not a hot dog person, Casey's is still a nice place to stop by for some fries or nachos because of the theme, location, and atmosphere-- especially when the piano player is performing, which also tends to be earlier in the day like the rest of the Main Street entertainment. 




As for value, I don't think it's great at Casey's, but it isn't terrible either. I know a lot of people complain about the prices at Casey's, because it sounds like a lot of money for a hot dog, but really it's on par with other quick service prices for a decent amount of food.

Even with the often super crowded atmosphere (at both the indoor and outdoor dining areas) it's still a nice place to stop and sit down for a little bit and enjoy the atmosphere on Main Street, especially if the parade or castle shows are happening, or if the piano player is out:



We give Casey's a score of 90%, and would recommend it to even the non-hot dog-loving Disney fan.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Brittany Earns Her Ears" is available on Amazon! Click here to get your copy today!

Follow us!
Instagram: @brittanyearnsherears @chaz385
Facebook.com/BrittanyEarnsHerEars
Twitter: @BrittanyEHE

No comments:

Post a Comment