Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Waiting Game Has Already Begun... Oh and FAQs!

Soooo..... you know how on most DCP blogs, the waiting game really sets in after the person has applied, but they don't know if they're accepted or not yet? I feel like the waiting game is already happening for me. Maybe it's because I'm a senior, so senior-itis is setting in as well, but all I want to do is go to Disney!! I just want to pack up my dorm and get out of here! 

Anyways, onto some more important things I guess. I was thinking about this blog (and my vlog), and it occurred to me, that my friends and family will probably be reading this to keep up with what I'm doing while I'm on the program. I originally thought this blog would be good for fellow CPs, but now I'm thinking that family and friends will probably read this too, and well, they're probably not obsessed like the fellow CPs, so maybe I should give some overviews of the program. Instead of making a big, long, wordy paragraph, I thought I would break this up into a little FAQ section of questions friends/family/teachers/random people, have already asked me about the program to clear things up. Here come the questions!!

Wait a minute... you're saying you want to go to a Disney college?
Well, contrary to this (somewhat?) popular belief, the Disney College Program is not actually a college. This program is essentially a paid internship.

What is the Disney College Program?
I'm glad you asked! I'll get the technical stuff out of the way first: The Disney College Program (or DCP as you will often see), is a paid, semester long internship at either Disneyland, in Anaheim, CA, or Walt Disney World, in Orlando, FL. During the program, interns will live just outside of Disney property, and work full time in entry level positions in and around the parks. Students will also have the opportunity to take classes with Disney in areas such as entertainment, security, history, environmental sustainability and guest relations. Now for the cheesy/personal twist on this question: The DCP has been a dream for me since I was about 8 years old. =D

If this program is a "semester" long how can you participate? Aren't you graduating in May?
Students can participate in the program as long as they are enrolled in school during the time of their interview. Because I will be in school in February/March (application season), I am able to apply for the Fall 2014 semester.

So you're going to work a minimum wage job in Florida's ridiculous heat and humidity after graduating when you could look for a real job?
Okay, here's the thing... things... thing(S) plural. Ugh, where to start? Alright, well first of all, this is a dream of mine, remember? Without getting too bogged down in the details, I applied for the program a couple of years ago thinking I would be able to complete it while I was in school. (If you've read previous posts, or keep up with my vlog, you already know this). My school did not recognize the program, and I was told that I would have to take a leave of absense and therefore lose my scholarship if I participated. (I got accepted, and then couldn't go, it was pretty soul-crushing). Now (Fall 2013), my school recognizes the internship, and everything would be all well and good, except for how I'm graduating next semester. That means that the only chance for me to go is next Fall. If I don't go then, I won't be able to go at all, and this is my DREAM remember??? Secondly, have you looked at the job market right now? I don't know anyone with any humanities-related major that found a decent full time job immediately after graduating (except for maybe teaching, but that's really a last resort for me). So I would say that a full time job in Disney is better than a part time job at home. Third: whose to say this isn't a real job?? It's full time, sometimes with tons of overtime, and it's going to allow me to live far away from home and completely on my own. Who are you to say my future isn't a real job?

Couldn't you end up cleaning toilets or something? That would be gross!!
Technically speaking, I could end up cleaning toilets, but I highly doubt that will happen. Last time I applied for the program I was given my second choice for the role I wanted, so I'm really not worried about getting custodial. Believe it or not, some people actually like custodial, so I assume those jobs will go to them.

How could someone like custodial?
From what I've heard, some people like custodial due to the amount of free time and guest interaction. And apparently, cleaning bathrooms is not as terrible as you'd think. (Though I'm a germaphobe, so you'd have to ask someone less biased than me about that). I've heard that custodial cast members get lots of free time, to walk around the parks, sweep, empty trash, and basically hang out and talk to guests. And according to some cast members, cleaning bathrooms isn't even that bad because there is always a custodian in or around them, so they never get that dirty/gross. Again, I'm a germaphobe, so it's not for me, but some people do really like this job.

What role do you hope to get on your program?
My top 3 roles are Vacation Planner, Attractions and Merchandise. I would love to be a Vacation Planner, because it is heavily sales oriented and I feel very comfortable in that kind of environment. I worked at Staples for 4 years, where I was constantly under pressure to upsell customers, and I now sell tickets on the Freedom Trail in Boston, where we have sales goals for tickets similar to Disney's though on a much smaller scale. I also feel that I would enjoy the hours for VP, as they are usually earlier in the day, and I would get to sit in an air conditioned ticket booth and pick up Parade Audience Control (PAC) shifts. Attractions is my second choice just because it sounds fun, there's no logic here. I wouldn't expect to get Attractions unless it is your first choice because so many people want this job, but it's worth a shot! And Merchandise I would just feel very comfortable with, and I like how there are so many different locations where I could work. Last time I was accepted into the program I was given Merchandise, and it was my second choice, I would be completely okay with this again. But my top choice is Vacation Planner!!

Can you choose to avoid roles like Custodial?
I can, but I didn't last time I applied, and I probably won't this time. When you apply for the DCP, you rank all of the roles as "high interest," "some interest," "little interest," or "no interest." Last time I applied, I kind of went with the basic skills of job hunting-- don't say you won't do something that you could be assigned to do if you want to get the job. I really want to work for Disney, so I would do a role I didn't want if that was my only option besides not going. Last time I applied, I had about 5 roles as "high interest." The rest of the roles, with the exception of Housekeeping, Custodial, and Lifeguard, I put as "some interest." Housekeeping and Custodial went under "low interest," and Lifeguard was the only role that I placed under "no interest." Theoretically, I could have placed Housekeeping and Custodial under "no interest," but I wanted to come across as a good employee. Either way, I'm sure there are other people who put those 2 roles higher up on the list, and they are likely the ones who get those jobs anyways.

How much does this program cost?
Not very much! If I am accepted, I will have to pay $300 in fees. Some of this will be program fees, so this money will go to things like housing events and cast member parties that I can attend during my program. The other portion will cover my rent during the first few weeks of the program. Rent for my apartment will be automatically deducted from my paychecks before I get them, and is only going to be $91 a week, assuming I live in the housing complex I really like at the moment. 

Yea.. and what about all the things you'll have to buy for your apartment?
All the things that I already have from living at school for 4 years, you mean? Aside from a couple of kitchen accessories, I could pack up my dorm right now and be all set.

How long would your program last?
I would like to apply for Fall Advantage (June 2014-January 2015), however I'm not sure how busy May and June will be for me because of graduation. Since this is my only chance to do the program, I would really like to do the longer option, but I will probably not decide until at least February when applications are out (though I'm 90% sure I want to leave in June). The other option is the Fall program, which lasts from August 2014-January 2015.

What are all these abbreviations you're using??
DCP = Disney College Program
CP = College Program cast member 
ICP = International College Program cast member
PAC = Parade Audience Control
VP = Vacation Planner
WDW = Walt Disney World
F2014 = Fall 2014
FA 2014 = Fall Advantage 2014

I think that's all I'll be using in this blog, I really don't like abbreviations, but writing out "Parade Audience Control" on a blog can get pretty repetitive...

What do you plan on doing after the program?
I was dreading this question! What I do after the program is entirely dependent on future questions that I do not have the answer to at the moment. There are two directions I would go towards career wise. One would be to stay in the museum field. Assuming I found some kind of History/Archival/Curatorial/Visitor Services/Collections job after the DCP that is full time, I will do that. After taking a year or two off, I would like to get my Masters (part time) in Museum Studies/Museology/Archival Science, and I would like to get a certificate in Tourism/Hospitality/Guest Services. The other option, is to stay with Disney! As much as I love the museum field, I can always find somewhere to volunteer to do some hands on archival work. I would love to do a Professional Internship with Disney (basically the next step, after the DCP, I'll save this topic for another post), and really move up in the company. I would love to work in Guest Relations at one of the parks full time. If my program ends, and I get offered some kind of decent full time position with Disney, or a Professional Internship, I would probably take that, work full time, get my masters in Business/Tourism/Hospitality/Guest Services, and complete a certificate in Museum Studies. I know this sounds like such a disorganized mess, but at least I'm honest! I don't think I can commit to one field until I know how the future pans out. I won't be upset whichever way it goes, I just don't want to put all my efforts into one area for now, and since I love Disney, and am planning on being a CP for at least 6 months, thinking about moving up in the company is not a bad idea.

How can I contact you during the program?
The same ways you can contact me now!
facebook.com/bdicologero
instagram: bdicologero
twitter: bdicologero
youtube: bdicologero
skype: bdicologero

or comment any of these blog posts!

If you'd prefer to email or call/text me drop me a comment here (or anywhere listed above), and I can send you that stuff, you know, assuming I actually know you. I don't want mountains of spam or prank calls. 

How often will you update this blog?
In a perfect world, I would update this at least once a week, however, there will be exceptions. As of right now, I don't have too much to write about since I haven't even applied to my program yet, and I'm really focusing on school at the moment. Before my program, I will update this based upon comments/questions I receive, and if I can think of anything to write about. During the program I would like to update it at least once a week, but I don't know what my schedule would be like for now, so I'm not making any promises. 

What will your next vlog be about?
Probably something similar to this post. If anyone would like to send me some questions you still have that were not addressed here, that would make for a good vlog, but so far I'm not completely sure what my next vlog will be on.

What do you do for work now?
Right now, I am a full time student working towards my Bachelor of Arts in History. I'm also interning at a Main Street Program to create a cemetery tour, and I'm working part time at a museum on Boston's Freedom Trail. I also work very part time at the circulations desk at my school's library. And of course, I run this blog and my vlog. I also volunteer periodically at a local historical society that is responsible for three small house museums. 

What is your favorite historical period/topic?
The founding of America until the end of the American Revolution. 

What is your least favorite historical period/topic?
Anything post-1945 Europe or Russia-related. 

Do you have any tips for students applying to the program for the first time?
I do! But I'm saving those for a separate post to kill time before February gets here, so keep a look out for that!

If you could live at any Disney hotel which one would you choose?
Is this a serious question? The Polynesian of course!


That's all I've gotten for questions recently, but if you have more, or still don't understand what the program is about, send them my way! I would love to make a vlog answering questions too, while I'm waiting for applications to come out, but I need your help in getting the questions in! So ask me anything! It can be about myself, my school, where I live or work, my favorite Disney stuff, anything about last time I applied, what I want from the DCP, anything!! You can make my vlog a success!! (Or at least less boring until I start the application process again). 

-Brittany

facebook.com/bdicologero
youtube: bdicologero
instagram: bdicologero

1 comment:

  1. If you could be a Disney character who would you be and why? What are you looking forward to most during the dcp? what are you looking forward to least? do you have a plan for budgeting??
    -Jessie (Spring '15 hopeful!)

    ReplyDelete