Wednesday, January 6, 2016

- CP Q&A - Rachel: Quick Service Food and Beverage, and Merchandise

 CP Q&A with Rachel, from Quick Service Food and Beverage, and Merchandise
by Brittany DiCologero

In this Q&A, Rachel, a Parlin, New Jersey native, recalls her experiences working in the Disney College Program in quick service food and beverage and merchandise. Rachel's program started in spring 2012, and she extended through the fall program until January 2013. During her program she was a culinary major at Middlesex County College in Edison, NJ, however upon returning home she decided to change directions and go into the medical field. 

Q: What made you want to do the Disney College Program?
A: I decided to do the Disney College Program because at the time, there was a guy in my baking class that had just come back from his program and he wouldn't stop talking about it. So one night, I decided to do some research about it and on a whim, I filled out the application. I wasn't expecting to get anything out of it, I just did it to see what would happen. And was I in for the shock of my life. I filled out my application October 11th and I did my web interview on October 13th and scheduled my phone interview for October 22 (at 9:45 in the evening!). I pended for almost a month and then I found out that I had gotten into the program on November 28th, 2011 and I right away paid my dues and picked my check in date for January 25th. 

2. What was your role and location? Was it your first choice? If not, what was?
Initially, my roll was Quick Service Food And Beverage at Caribbean Beach Resort, but then I extended my program and I couldn't switch my role so I stayed QSFB and I was a part of the opening team for Disney's Art Of Animation Resort. I was at DAAR from April to August and then applied for one more final extension (you were allowed to extend up to 3 times) and I had the opportunity to switch my roll. I originally applied for Attractions and I would have worked at Splash Mountain but because of health restrictions, they switched me to Merchandise and I worked at The Emporium on Main Street USA in Magic Kingdom. 



3. What was your training like?
Training for QSFB was pretty simple. I actually burned my arm from making Mickey Waffles on my first day at Caribbean Beach and it was also a little nerve wracking with the new menu at DAAR because we had to know about all these new foods that none of us had tried before with all these different flavors and we had to know the ingredients and everything. I actually recently came across my notes I had taken during training but training for Merchandise was a little bit harder because we had to know how to count the Disney way (Don't ask me how because I don't remember how to do it and never did it) and learning the MANTRA system (software system that all the parks run off of) but I quickly got the hang of everything. I was more excited to get out on stage with everyone! 

4. What were the best things about your role?
Best things about QSFB were for sure the early hours. Go into work early, get out of work early. I was always opening the resort. 6:30 AM until 12:30 PM and once it got towards the end of each extension, my hours were changed up. I usually worked evenings usually until closing. But I wasn't prepared for the hours at Magic Kingdom. Latest I went into work was 1030/11 PM and got home at 6 AM... that really messed with my sleep schedule BUT I did get to meet Paige O'Hara who played our beloved Belle from Beauty And The Beast on opening day of New Fantasyland. 



5. The worst?
I'm not going to lie, you always got that one or few guests who really brought you down and I encountered that often but you have to get passed that. The worst was really being away from my family because I didn't see them for almost a year and not getting to spend the major holidays with them killed me. 

6. Would you recommend these roles to a friend?
Actually I would. Its a great experience and you do have fun on the job. 

7. What advice would you have for new CPs in these roles?
Just have fun! That's what this is all about but don't treat it like a six month vacation. Its a lot of hours that you'll be working and a lot of long days and nights but make the most of your entire program!



8. What have you been up to since your program ended?
Since the program ended, I went back to school for Phlebotomy and now work for a lab in my area. October of 2014, I decided to go back to school for Nursing and I'm going to do both my Associates and Bachelors degrees. I'll soon be able to take the HESI test which is to get into the program and then be put on the year long wait list. While I'm on the wait list, I'll start my Bachelors degree classes and then graduate with both. Once that's finished, then I'm moving back to Florida!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Brittany Earns Her Ears" is on Amazon! Click here to get your copy today!



Follow us!

Instagram: @brittanyearnsherears
Facebook.com/BrittanyEarnsHerEars
Twitter: @BrittanyEHE

No comments:

Post a Comment