Thursday, December 3, 2015

- CP Q&A - Brittany: Attractions at Lights, Motors, Action!

By request, I'm answering my own interview questions for this CP Q&A post. In case you haven't been following this blog, I'm from Massachusetts, though I went to St. Anselm College in Manchester, NH, where I majored in History. I participated in the fall 2014 Disney College Program in merchandise, and I extended into the spring 2015 program in attractions. 

Q: What was your role and location? Was it your first choice? If not, what was?
A: I was an attractions hostess at Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show, and occasionally at Fantasmic! For my extension, attractions was my first choice! I had tried for vacation planner on multiple occasions, but was never successful in getting that role, so I decided to rethink my options and make attractions my first choice on the extension application-- and I'm glad I did! 



Q: What was your training like?
A: My training lasted for five days-- three days of on the job training learning the different positions and two days of assessments. We had a written test with multiple choice questions and an assessment of how we actually worked on the job with our trainer. It was somewhat stressful at times, due to the level of public speaking you need to command a crowd while doing crowd control at a show like this, and also due to the nature of the show (opening and closing gates, listening for radio calls, etc, while the cars and motorcycles are speeding and explosions are happening on the set.)




Q: What were the best things about your role?
A: The guest interaction was great at Lights, Motors, Action because we were able to super greet in the park before the show started, so this really gave me an opportunity to just walk around and talk to guests. We also had a couple of different magical moments we could do, like giving out VIP seating for the show, and certificates for the kid stunt driver chosen from the audience that is part of the show. Although the positions you could work might be different everyday, almost all the cast members at this location go on breaks at the same time, so it really felt like a family because we had to work together and deal with each other when we were off stage too. This set schedule was also nice because you always knew when your break was going to be, unlike some other roles in Disney where breaks are done by rotations and you can never be quite sure when yours is coming. The hours were also really nice-- unless I had to work Fantasmic, I worked 11:30 to 5:30 each shift!




Q: The worst?
A: Working outdoors-- not only was it the usual Florida heat and humidity, but the show's flame effects did not help. I don't know how the stunt drivers do it! I didn't like certain positions, but all of the positions at Lights, Motors, Action are so different that no one really likes all of them. I wasn't crazy about covered queue (the person who directs guests through the tunnel into the stadium, loads guests using wheelchairs and their parties into the elevator, controls the flow of traffic according to the coordinator's instructions over the radio, and open and closes the gates for the cars and motorcycles in the finale scene.) On a busy day, doing that position by yourself could get really hectic, and it just really wasn't my favorite to do. I also wasn't a fan of packing (getting the guests to move to the end of their row) but I definitely became much more comfortable with it as time went on. And I didn't like the weeks where I had Fantasmic every night. It's not that I particularly didn't like Fantasmic, I just liked my nice schedule that let me out of work at 5:30! 




Q: Would you recommend this role to a friend?
A: I can't speak for rides, but I would absolutely recommend working in attractions at a show! I was initially disappointed when I didn't get a ride, but now that I've experienced working at a show, I feel like a lot of what I learned is more transferable to other jobs I might apply for in the future, and I was able to interact with guests in ways that I would not have been able to if I were at a ride. 




Q: What advice would you have for new CPs in this role?
A: Don't be afraid to ask for help during training. Once training is over you'll be working some positions completely on your own, so it's best to get your questions answered ahead of time. Don't let the pressure get to you. Guests can get crazy, people will yell, they won't want to move down, they'll give you a hard time about their wheelchair and family taking up four extra seats in the transfer seating area, they'll try to fight the no strollers in the attraction policy, and they DEFINITELY will try to avoid going to the top of the stadium where you want them to sit as much as they possibly can. Just don't let it bother you. Is it stressful when someone insists that their entire family must sit on the bench next to them thereby taking away seating from another wheelchair party? Yes, but stressing out isn't going to fix it, thinking on your feet about the best way to resolve the issue is. Be confident in your decision making, yet careful with how you interact with guests, and use your best judgement.




Q: What have you been up to since your program ended?
A: I'm working full time in the security department at the Harvard Art Museums, and going back to school part time in the spring at Harvard University, where I'll be working towards my masters in Literature and Creative Writing. I'm also a writer at DisneyQuestions.com, MickeyTips.com, and DisneyDining.com, and I'm working on a sequel to my first book, "Brittany Earns Her Ears," which should be out by March 2016. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Brittany Earns Her Ears" is available on Amazon! Click here to get your copy today!



Instagram: @brittanyearnsherears
Facebook.com/BrittanyEarnsHerEars
Twitter: @BrittanyEHE

No comments:

Post a Comment