Friday, September 4, 2015

- CP Q&A - Blake: Watercraft Operations at Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake, and Sassogoula River

On this edition of the CP Q&A, Blake, from Plano TX, fills us in on what it's like to work in Watercraft Operations. Blake participated in the Spring Advantage 2014 program, and currently attends Valencia Community College in Orlando, FL, where he studies Hospitality Management. 

Q: What made you want to do the Disney College Program?  
A: For me it was a dream of mine to work for Disney as I'm sure most adults had when growing up. I also wanted to see if I could see myself working as a life long career cast member, after my program i realized this is the company i want to start a career with and hopefully work for the rest of my life. 




Q: What was your role and location? Was it your first choice? If not, what was? 
A: Well my role started out as Watercraft Operations at Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake but after 2 months I had the privilage of cross training as a Boat Captain for the Sassogoula River Cruise boats that ferry guests around the Downtown Disney and surrounding resorts. The role was actually not my first or any choices for that matter, i really had no idea it existed/was open for College Program participants. My first choice was Attractions because why not and it would be awesome to work my favorite ride Mission Space. The other two choices I had put down were park operations to be a greeter and Front desk. 




Q: What was your training like? 
A: Training for me personally was very easy as I had a great trainer and the job is very hands on. There is a lot to learn in a short amount of time but everything you learn is consistently used everyday so it would be hard not to pass your testing day. 

Q: What were the best things about your role? 
A: The best thing about my role is that I got paid to work on boats all day at Disney World. Every day is different and you are always on the move, you get to meet absolutely amazing guests and to be honest I think our position in watercraft has one of if not the best views for entertainment. There is nothing better than coming from Fort Wilderness Campgrounds to the Magic Kingdom, as your passing from Bay Lake into the Seven Seas Lagoon Wishes starts up right in front of you. Then you might have to wait for the ferry to pass and as your sitting out on the lagoon all the guests eyes light up and yes there are a lot of teary eyed guests out there. That is one of many great things about my role. 




Q: The worst? 
A: I wouldn't consider this the worst as I never had a bad time but the only thing I can see affecting some cast members is the lack of control when it comes to certain things. Just like any role when you have an attraction breakdown, room not ready, etc sometimes guests get a little less magical and you need to know how to respond accordingly and keep the magic alive. Plus if you are not used to working very late into the night/morning it is something you need to consider as well. 

Q: Would you recommend this role to a friend? 
A: I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who likes a job that gets you in front of guests, has you on your feet all day (don't forget about the great tanning potential,) and a job where every day is never the same. While you might be doing the same tasks your not stuck in a booth or stationary at just one place the entire shift. 




Q: What advice would you have for new CPs in this role? 
A: Well for anyone who is looking to do Watercraft Operations or boat captain with Sassagoula River Cruise i would love to give a few pieces of advice. First and this is a big one you need to make sure you can stand/be on your feet for long periods of time. Only time you can rest/sit down is during breaks or obviously when you get done with your shift. It is also good to ask yourself would I be ok working in the very early mornings or very late evenings/following mornings. If you are someone that always has a positive attitude, loves to interact with guests, very flexible/adaptive when it comes to schedules, and wants a role that is not only active but has each day being different from the last in terms of what you will be doing/boats you will on, and  always up for a challenge than this is a good job for you. 




Q: What have you been up to since your program ended? 
A: Since the program ended I have moved from Pittsburgh,PA to Orlando,Fl and changed my degree from Accounting to Hospitality Management for my Bachelors in Science. I have recently applied and just got offered a role at one of the Deluxe Hotels here at my favorite Magical company Disney. If you happen to see me at one of these resorts be sure to say hi and if you love fun facts about Walt Disney World let me know and I'd happily share some fun Disney Trivia. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you "liked" Brittany Earns Her Ears on Facebook? We're hosting a contest to give away a $15 Disney gift card to a randomly selected Facebook follower once the page hits 250 likes. If you've already liked it, share Facebook.com/BrittanyEarnsHerEars with your friends and we'll be able to pick a winner sooner!

Click here to purchase "Brittany Earns Her Ears" on Amazon!

Facebook.com/BrittanyEarnsHerEars
Instagram: @brittanyearnsherears
Twitter: @BrittanyEHE

No comments:

Post a Comment