Monday, July 20, 2015

Post-DCP Life

This is the post that every DCP blogger has to do at some point, and while I've been putting it off, I think it's finally time to get this over with. Life after the college program is... difficult? I think that's a good way to describe it. 

The first difficult part of leaving the DCP is adjusting to life at home. Even though I've moved back home from college a bunch of times, moving home after the DCP is so much worse. If you're moving back in with your parents, you're going to miss the independence of living states way in Florida. And if you're moving back in with different roommates, you're always going to find yourself comparing them, and that living situation to your roommates in Florida.


-some of my roommates from the Fall 2014 DCP and I, posing in front of a Transtar bus, of course-

You're also going to miss having something to do every day of the week. I recently accepted a full-time position at the Harvard Art Museums, and my days off are Monday and Tuesday. (Coincidentally, my days off during the Spring 2015 DCP were also Monday and Tuesday.) Living in Orlando, it doesn't matter what your days off are. There's always other CPs with the same days off as you, and there's always something fun to do in the Orlando area. Here in Boston, the same cannot be said. The highlight of my "weekend" is going to bar trivia on Tuesday nights, and aside from that it doesn't really feel like there's as much to do as there was during any "weekend" day in Orlando. Even though my daily hours (9-5) are great, it's not the same getting off work and not being able to spend a couple of hours in Epcot just because.


-hanging out with Donald on a day off, because we could-

You're also going to miss your friends. Sure you can keep in touch, but you can't just pop into their apartments anymore, or just hang out and watch the fireworks at night.




Lastly, you're going to get really emotional around all things Disney. Try walking into a Disney Store at your local mall after working in Merchandise and you'll know what I mean. Or when you see a Disney commercial, or those specials on the Travel Channel, you'll just be aching to go back. And you'll see hidden Mickey's in places where there shouldn't be hidden Mickey's. Like this painting from the art museum I'm working at for instance:



That's definitely a hidden Mickey. I don't care how old this painting is, there's a blatant hidden Mickey right there. 

You also get jealous. I'm not going to lie, jealousy after the DCP is a real thing, especially if you still have a lot of friend there, or follow a lot of current CPs on social media. If you're leaving soon, or have recently come home, try not to let the jealousy get to you, just be excited about planning your next vacation there, and be happy for your friends who are still on the program.

In true "post-DCP depression" spirit, I've made a Facebook page devoted to my blog and books. It's facebook.com/brittanyearnsherears if you'd like to follow it. The page will be used to post updates for this blog, Disney-related things from my Instagram, and maybe even more contests to win copies of my book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Brittany Earns Her Ears" is available on Amazon in eBook and paperback! Click here to get your copy today, and leave a review on Amazon if you enjoy it!



No comments:

Post a Comment